Monday, September 6, 2010

I HAD MY GOLDEN BIRTHDAY AND ALL I GOT WAS TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL

On August 21st 2010, Abigail Churchman took her final step across the barrier that separates the girls from the women. Abigail “Gigantor” Churchman turned 21 on August 21. Scabbers experienced a golden landmark birthday. But first Cabbage decided to hurt herself! What’s a 21st birthday without a little bit of pain?

The day before my birthday, Ashleigh took me out for an afternoon of fun at the Arlington County fair. Accompanying us was Ashleigh’s friend Megan from our high school days and Ashleigh’s other friend visiting from France. Upon arriving at the fair I discovered two things. First, fried Oreos exist. How did I not know? And second, the fair is a lot more expensive than I remembered. As a result, we only bought enough tickets for three of us to go on one ride. I reluctantly agreed to go on a ride that didn’t look too bad. WRONG. The ride consisted of space-ship looking seats fit for two that swung up, down and around a spinning center. For some reason I begged Ashleigh to let me sit on the outside. It did not occur to me that the person on the inside would push against the person on the outside due to the spinning of the ride. As a result, during the ride, my left thigh was pressed really hard against a metal protrusion-bulbous-thing meant to keep us from flying out of our seats. Mission accomplished. Never, since the big bouncy slide at Grinnell, has a ride meant for fun caused me so much pain. Ashleigh said “sorry” the entire time we were spinning. When I finally got off the awful ride, I examined the welt in my thigh that looked purple and pain-like. I limped my way back to the main exhibition area and managed to get ice, though no official first-aid place was present. Later that night the indent had turned into a lump, but didn’t bruise for many days, making me feel totally unjustified in my whining about it. At least I got to try the fried Oreos on my way back. And all things considered I did enjoy my pre-birthday outing.

Five minutes to midnight my sister stood outside my lair (so called by Emily), staring at me and waiting. When the digital clock struck 12 she wished me a happy birthday and asked if I felt any different. I didn’t really—well—except for the leg pain.

The next day, to celebrate my birth, I decided to go to a…funeral! But of course! It was a nice service though and it was celebrating the life of someone who got to live for a full, long life. I especially enjoyed the remembrances friends and family made about Cynthia during the reception.

That evening, my family indulged my request to go to a Mexican restaurant. Why? Because I wanted my first legal American margarita. As we sat down, Emily handed me the drink menu, leading father to say “Don’t corrupt your sister.” But it’s my 21st birthday! I have to have a drink…or several…but that came later. The waiter asked me for my ID which I happily supplied. He wished me a happy birthday and then mumbled something about talking to management. Ruh Roh! Regardless, I was still surprised when, during the middle of our meal, restaurant workers surrounded me and a deceptively heavy and ill-fitting sombrero was placed on my head. Fiesta!

I much enjoyed dinner, but happily returned home for presents…and cupcakes. I discovered, to my delight, that dad had fulfilled my request for my favorite chocolate-peanut butter cupcakes from a place near DuPont circle. After my wonderful presents I waited around for an hour for the next phase of my birthday.

My friends Violet and Cody graciously accepted to take me out for a night on the town, to explore all the alcoholic wonders Arlington has to offer. They ended up taking me to three bars in Clarendon and paying for all my drinks. The first bar was the smallest and a little crowded, but provided a good starting off atmosphere. The bouncer also wished me a happy birthday when he checked my ID! Next, we went to the bar section of Hard Times that I didn’t know existed. In the bar we found two more friends from high school: Aileen and Alexis. Promptly upon hearing it was my birthday, Alexis ordered me a Yeager-bomb, insisting it tastes just like a milkshake. Sort of. For our third and final destination we went to Spider Kelly’s, the largest bar of the night. Once again, the bouncer wished me a happy birthday. Inside, I met Violets potential boyfriend bartender who made me my last drink of the night. Thankfully. The whole night was super fun and I really enjoyed spending time with both Violet and Cody.

The next morning, Emily took me out for a brunch in the District. I had the most delicious steak and eggs dish I have ever had the pleasure to consume. Regardless if that’s actually true, it was great hang over food. The day was also beautiful and of course I had excellent company. Our only mistake was getting ice cream after brunch. We went to a local place that interpreted a scoop of ice cream to be a huge blob of ice cream. It did no good for my stomach. Despite the tummy ache, I enjoyed my last day in Arlington.

The next day I got to drive with my Mother to Iowa. The first day went perfectly fine. We visited Uncle Michael and traveled a considerable distance. The next day provided a fun dilemma. Near Champagne Illinois Mom and I heard what sounded like a helicopter flying right above us. Mom asked me if I could see anything, but I could not. I didn’t even notice that the car was vibrating. Mom did though and as I said the fateful words “I don’t think the noise is coming from our car” we heard the sound of metal scraping pavement. Our tire had been shredded off completely. Mom called AAA and they were actually useful for probably the first time in their history. They offered to send the police to help us, but then told us that the tow truck would probably arrive before the cops could get there. This led mom to remark “well I guess we know where to speed”. The very nice tow truck driver took us to a car repair place where they could replace the tire. Luckily there was a great Mexican restaurant nearby. For the rest of our wait, we watched half of “Big Fish”. The service place was prompt, though and we were sent on our way.

Since we were already too late to try to get my stuff from storage, we decided to stop at the Tanger Outlets. For once I didn’t buy too much. For dinner, Mom took me to the Voodoo Lounge in Grinnell. Horribly overpriced, but ok food and good wine. Then, in the dark of the night Mom and Perri (who I lured with cheesecake) helped me take everything out of the car and into my room. Though that night I slept at the Comfort Inn with Mom.


For lunch the next day, before mom had to leave, we went to A&M for my Mom’s annual (sometimes biannual) pie. Then I bid goodbye to Mom, who a friend thankfully accepted to take to the airport (I still had much to do). Thus ended the road trip and thus endeth this post cause I have to run to Community Chorus…oh sorry… the Grinnell Oratorio society.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Happy birthday again. I hope your 22nd year proceeds smoothly and happily, without further danger to life and limb.

    ReplyDelete