Friday, November 3, 2017

Abigail is going to Gigantor's ancestoral homeland

You thought this day would never come. And you had a 90% chance of being right because, I'll be honest, I'm lazy. But the blog is back, at least temporarily, as Gigantor once again has some stuff to say. Because Gigantor is going to Japan! The country where my namesake, the space age robot (look it up), was born. Since a majority of my past blog posts were about my travels I  figured it was only right to use this trip as an excuse to write again. I am writing this from the terminal of Dulles Airport in the hopes that this initial post will keep me accountable about continuing the documentation of my journey.

I awoke at 5am and drove over to my friend Stephanie's house. Steph will be my traveling companion for this trip. We went to high school together and both appreciate Japanese culture i.e. nerd stuff. Our chariot (the Uber) was already there so off we went. Until about 15 minutes later when our driver uttered those terrible words "do you hear that?" And yes, yes I did. A terrible noise of metal(?) scraping pavement. My mind imediately went to two memories. 1) that time my mom was driving my car and we heard what sounded like a helicopter landing on top of the roof, which turned out to be what a flat tire sounds like and 2) that time I was riding in my father's 18 year old Churchcarivan and an important part of the underside of the car partially fell off and dragged, creating a similarly terrible metallic scream. Uber driver pulled over but couldn't see anything since we had to park on grass that obscured the car's undercarriage. We took a gamble and continued driving. Whatever was caught under the car eventually fell off, the noise stopped, and since the car didn't stop moving, im/explode, or fall apart I guess it was nothing (?). Or the Uber driver's problem depending on what the mechanic he told us he would visit after he dropped us off tells him.

There was no line at the Air Canada counter, we got TSA precheck, and our terminal, Z, was confusingly the first terminal, which didn't require a long walk, or shuttle ride, so we got to our gate an hour early. And that is why I had time to write this post, which is now over because, I once again, temporarily, have nothing to say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment