Monday, December 14, 2009

Hell Week


Why do they call the week before finals hell week? Finals week is hell week.

Ok, last week was a little hellish. I had a presentation, which always goes oh so well. Seriously it was pretty bad, but then it was over. Following, I had to rewrite the paper that I presented on. I only mention it because it inspired a miracle. While finishing my paper I...I didn't....I didn't procrastinate! The paper was like a pit in my stomach that tortured my soul and I wanted it gone as soon as possible. Unfortunately, as soon as possible meant like 10 hours later. I don't think I've ever put so much effort into a paper ever.

I did have an academic feel-good moment during “hell week”. As anyone who reads my Facebook statuses knows—I hate methods with a deep fiery passion. So, I was really not looking forward to rewriting my methods proposal (I had already rewritten the stupid thing once). Fortunately, I didn't have to! I went into his office and basically he said ‘you already made all the changes I suggested, this is an A paper, I’m willing to let you not rewrite it’. !!! I said I was willing not to rewrite it. What followed was more amazing. I had a completely nonawkward conversation with him afterwards for like 10 minutes. Guess who's going to be one of my recommendations when I try to get an internship this summer.

I had hoped to ride the wave of nonprocrastination from my seminar papers into finals week, but it's faded a little.

Sunday was quite busy. I went straight from bed to the dining hall to the library to the dining hall to watching Battlestar Galactica with friends to a pancake study break. At the study break, held in the infamous Harris Center, I discovered a game straight from the devil, pictured above, and accurately named Hot Hoops. I must say, if you judge by this game, my basketball skills have greatly improved since middle school. I swear I could play Hot Hoops all day...it's so weirdly addictive. It kind of goes like this: Oh no! I didn't make a basket! I have to try again! Oh yay! I made a basket! I have to try again! etc etc etc

Monday=Meh. It was very productive, if you consider digging your car out of the snow productive.

The rest of finals week wasn't deadly exciting or noteworthy. I turned in my 18 page seminar paper, my flawless methods proposal, a sit down resource and environmental econ test (don't ask me how I did cause I don't know), and wrote two 5 page essays for Politics of Russia. And then when I was done with everything on Friday—yay!—I was rewarded by dinner at the new Grinnell Mexican restaurant with friends, saw Avatar (A movie which lead me to ask: why the heck would a robot have a switch blade?) and my friend who also lives in the DC area told me that all flights into DC were cancelled the next day. The day I needed to travel. Merde! Turns out he wasn’t completely right, but right enough. But, you’ll have to wait for the next post to hear about that. Duh Duh Duhnnnn!



No comments:

Post a Comment