Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Is Kate the new Emily?

You may have noticed in Gigantor's very first post, I referred to David's girlfriend as DGF Emily. Why would I have to give her a nickname? Maybe because one fifth of everyone I meet seems to be named Emily. Since I will probably be talking about them in the future I will come up with more and more nicknames.

Obviously the most important Emily in my life is my sister. In the realm of family I also have an aunt Emily. Then, I've known other Emilys in my orbit including an elementary school classmate, a slightly older Emily from my high school (my bro's ex), two Emilys in my current college class, of course DGF Emily, and various others. (Emily has been one of the most popular baby names for years and years). Also, in my first year of college I was in a triple with a Chinese student named Lupeng and girl named, you guessed it Emily (I had to laugh at the time, as I often do when I meet another Emily). We really hit off (after a few akward shy days) and I was very sad to find out she was going to transfer out after the first semester. I still regularly talk to her and I'm actually in Montana visiting her right now, so I will call her Emily Jane. So, in short, lots of Emilys and more all the time.

But, is there a new name sneaking up on the horizon? Maybe. My roomate from last year (Dysfuncto/Perri) and I are still good friends, but she is studying abroad this fall semester, so I had to find a new roommate. After not getting a single (my roomdraw number was awful for the second year in a row and they ran out literally two people ahead of me grr), I submitted a roommate request form. After months of waiting I found a girl who wanted a triple and I told her I was in. Her name: Kate. Then a second girl responded to Kate's request: Katie. I feel bad my name isn't Kathyrn. So, then I started thinking. I've known a lot of Kate/Katies too. There was my elementary school and basketball friend Katie. My sister had a friend named Kate, there's several other Kates at Grinnell, and Kate's from summer camps etc.

So the name Emily needs to suit up if she wants to beat this new competitor. Soon, me knowing 5+ Emilys may not be enough. Soon, the day may come when someone says "Hi, my name is Kate" and I laugh the same way I did when I found out my roommates name. And that, my friends, will be a sad day for all the Emilys I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment