Monday, August 17, 2009

Super Duper Montana Continued

Day Seven (Thursday)

Emily went to work at noon (til 10pm yeesh) and I drove Sarah to the Bozeman Airport. More surprisingly, I didn't get lost on the way back. I then did a little shopping at the Old Navy Emily works at (sans Emily) and then I went to the mall and shopped at...JC Penny's! Yes the same JC Penny's that has gone out of business in Arlington! Ok maybe I'm trying to make this sound a little bit more exciting than it actually was. I did buy some awesome comic book shirts though.

At five I third wheeled with Mary and Tony. We went to a most excellent pizza place-Old Chicago. Then we headed over to music on Main-a live music event held during the summer. Right over the stage were intense rain clouds (everything around the concert's location was blue and bright). At about 6:35 it started raining buckets and we all had to run for cover. Fortunately, the rain stopped right at 7:00, the concert's start time. Wasn't a huge fan of the music-too country-and it was cold and I was tired (complain!), so Mary and Tony drove me home; they also had plans after the concert which would have been awkward for me to be a part of.

While waiting for the rain to stop and the concert to begin I saw this poor soul. This recession has hit everyone really hard-Even Santa.

At about 11pm, Em returned home. Trevor called saying he was hungry, so the three of us embarked on what would turn out to be one of the most bizarre car rides of my life. First, I heard a whole argument between Em and Trev which seemed to be contained in twenty minutes. They said things that made the other mad, they sincerely apologized, all the while switching between laughing and shouting. It was not the kind of passive aggressive fights I'm used to. After Trev scared the person working at one Wendy's we had to go to another. We chilled out in the parking lot eating and listening to Legally Blond, which Trevor sang enthusiastically to. Finally, we stopped in a pretty abandoned parking lot and had a dance party in the headlights of Trev's car. Good night.

Day Eight (Friday)

Em made breakfast for me and Lois. Em and I watched an amazing spoof music video on YouTube which I'll put a plug in for right now- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGRfDv7wLUc. I wrote on this here blog while the annoying plop sound of Em's Facebook chatting radiated from next to me; we both showed off our maturity by chatting online (quite annoyingly) even though we were less than a foot away.

Em left for work and I tried to watch a soap, but Obama was in Bozeman on Friday and his speech interrupted regular programing. I hate it when insignificant things like the president get in the way of my television watching! I went upstairs and watched a massive hail storm from the guest bedroom window. I had never been in such a big hail storm before. It sounded like gum balls were descending on the earth, but the hail was only about the size of those circular, almost metallic, sprinkles I used to put on ice cream. Then, I almost had a heart attack when I saw a spider the size of a big grasshoppers climb on the outside of the window. I guess it didn't like being pelted.

When Emily returned from work we decided to borrow a movie from Trevor. He actually had a date with Mary (Em's sister) planned for that night. Yes, Trev is Emily's friend, but when he came for dinner on Wednesday Mary saw something that she liked. The whole situation seemed pretty awkward to me and Em and I had a lot of fun talking about it. Anyway, Trev's roommate was getting ready to throw a party, so Em and I hung out a little bit at Trev's, listening to music. I also tried hookah for the first time-something my high school friends wanted me to try for a long time. After hanging, I recommended "Goodwill Hunting" to Em. We went to the mall briefly, so I could try my luck at Victoria's Secret (Surprise! No luck). Then, we went home, ordered pizza and watched Goodwill Hunting with Em's mom. It was even better than I remembered it-good movie-good night-good visit. Wait what?

Day Nine (Saturday) The final day :(

So, it was time for me to leave the wonderful land of Montana and Emily's wonderful company. She drove me to Billings Airport while I played 'The Full Monty' for her-one of my favorite musicals. Em was especially a fan of 'Big Ass Rock'; Emily has good taste.

We said our heartfelt goodbyes at the airport and I reluctantly parted from Emily. My flights were uneventful and I was actually able to sleep on most of my flight from O'Hare to DC-a rarity for me.

So in summary, the whole trip was amazing, though I really wish I had more time between returning to A-Town and going to Grinnell. This trip also was great preparation for this next semester. With my closest friend and roommate studying abroad this semester, I'm going to need to make new friends. I was thrown into plenty of social situations and met a lot of new people and had a lot of fun doing so. I can think of nothing better for a shy person like me, than learning that talking to new people can be not scary and even fun. Let's see if I can carry this lesson with me to Grinnell.

No comments:

Post a Comment