Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Adventures of Gigantor and Dysfuncto

Since The Sequence (the Grinnell College's comic publication) did not see fit to publish this comic that Perri and I worked on, I thought I would include it here; along with the origin story of Gigantor (me) and Dysfuncto (my roommate Perri).

Gigantor was born out of sibling teasing. I am the tallest sibling of the family...actually the tallest person of my family. Consequently, I usually help out with the reaching high places and just being a general source of amusment: being so tall I can't help but fumble often and bang my body parts (usually my head) into things. So Gigantor is pretty simple: freakishly tall girl=Gigantor. Also, I didn't realize until recently that Gigantor was actually a 60's anime show which I now own. As a result of this anime I also have a catch phrase: Bigger than big, taller than tall! (No copyright infringment intended).

Dysfuncto is equally simple. My roommate and I have a healthy relationship of playful teasing-she teases me too! it's not just my sarcastic self attacking her, honest! So, one night working with her at Grinnell's dining hall as custodians I noticed that she can be slightly dysfunctional. I immediately thought of turning this feature into a super hero (because I am a geek) and Perri helped me think of Dsyfuncto.

Perri suggested we turn these two heroes into a comic and I heartily agreed. Perri wrote the story (I made a few edits based on what I could actually accomplish in a two page comic) and I drew it and submitted it to The Sequence. I'll just say that Perri and I were less than thrilled to find out it was not accepted, so I'm glad to be able to use this blog to share it with at least a couple people. So, without further ado, I give you Gigantor and Dysfuncto.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Healthy relationship my ass! I'm going to need years of therapy....

    lol, I love how you describe me as "slightly dysfunctional." More like utterly and hopelessly. I'm so glad you posted this here- I'm still unhappy with the Sequence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the rest of the song goes...

    Braver than Brave!
    Stronger than Strong!
    Ready to fight for Right!
    ...against wrong....

    I'll sing it to ya in December

    ReplyDelete