Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Short Short Story

Yes, it's true. I have been a horrible horrible blogger. It has been months since my last post, and I'm sorry. I will do a longer post sometime during spring break (next next week!). To tide you over, here's a short story (not fictional) of two interconnected events that occurred the week following Christmas.

Life Imitates Art

After coming home from seeing True Grit we had a Churchman jam session. David played show tunes on the piano while Emily, Mom and I sang along. One of the songs was "America" from west side story. For those heathens who do not know, this is a song sung by women from Puerto Rico talking about how life in America is "better". For example, the women sing "Everything's free in America...for a small fee in America." The next day I was getting a hair cut at the ever reliable Hair Cuttery and overheard a conversation between two of the stylists who didn't have costumers to appease. Both women were not from America and were literally acting out the line: "There are many free things in America. You just have to pay for them. It only costs five dollars to get something free". I half expected them to start dancing and snapping.

The End.




No comments:

Post a Comment